Sunday 3 April 2016

Southport Memories.........
Geoff has found some old family photo's, do have any you want to share?
If so drop me a line...



Dear Sir/Madam, I have just come across your site and was interested because my Grandmother used to be the Manageress in the Southport branch. She was called Elsie Lawton, and I recollect the staff always having to refer to her as Madam, and what a Madam she was.


Somewhere I have two photographs. One of the inside and another of the staff outside, with my Grandmother, when she was leaving. A date I am not aware of. The staff must have presented her with a small round silver case which we still have.



Regards,

Geoff Smith.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, indeed there was a Kardomah in Kingston on Thames and in 1973 I was the manager before emigrating to Australia .The restaurant had previously been a Kenco coffee house before Trust Houses Forte took it over and renamed it Kardomah . I still remember vividly my time there when I was 22/23 We had quite an extensive menu which ran all day from about 8am to 8pm .The menu had an All day breakfast as well as Fish and chips, steaks,3 egg Omelettes,( we would go through 90 doz eggs on a weekend ) Salads Baked Salmon ,Quiche, Liver and Bacon as well as selling Danish pastries in the morning , Fresh Ground Filtered coffee and Fresh cream cakes with afternoon pots of Tea deserts included Lemon Meringue pie ,Sara Lea Blueberry cheesecake . We sold Knickerbocker glories ,Peach melbas, Pears Bell Helene and Banana splits as desserts . We had a counter where people could buy Terrys Chocolates and of course Ground Coffee to take away which we did getting our beans out of 3 big Copper containers .Choices were Mocka(mild)Kenya(medium)and Continental (strong ) Blue Mountain (aromatic) was also available. Being located just of the marketplace in Kingston it was always busy particularly on Saturdays. My wage at about this time was around 40 Quid a week whereas Waitresses would earn about 20 . We would quite often get some celebrities Sally Thomset from Man about the house comes to mind .The restaurant was still in place in 1984 when I last visited the Uk , it will be interesting to see what has replaced it when I visit again in April

    ReplyDelete